The Guns of Navarone
KEITH MALLORY, A MOUNTAIN CLIMBER FROM NEW ZEALAND, MUST INFILTRATE THE AEGEAN ISLAND OF NAVARONE, AND DESTROY THE GUNS ON THE GERMAN FORTRESS THERE, IN ORDER TO SAVE THE LIVES OF 1,200 BRITISH SOLDIERS. HE GETS A TEAM TOGETHER, BOARDS A SMALL CRAFT, AND HEADS TO NAVARONE. ON THE WAY…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Guns of Navarone as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
In this book, Maclean created one of the most unique and incredible settings I’ve seen, along with an interesting group of characters. It’s a World War II thriller set on a fictional island in the Aegean Sea, Navarone—a combination of some of the Greek islands, where the German army has set up a pair of major cannons to control the nearby waters. The neighboring island houses a prisoner-of-war camp with at least two hundred Allied prisoners.
To free the prisoners, the Allies assemble a team to neutralize the guns at Navarone. The team includes a New Zealand mountaineer, an American…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Guns of Navarone.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books that don't use cookie-cutter stereotypes about characters or places
- The best books on World War 2 from several different perspectives
- The best books that tell great stories about the Second World War
- The best books about submarine warfare during World War II
- The best books about women in uniform in World War II