The Shining Company
'I saw riders with black eyesockets in glimmering mail where their faces should have been, grey wolfskins catching a bloom of light from the mist and the moon; a shining company indeed, not quite mortal-seeming.' Many years after King Arthur defeated the Saxons, the tribes of Britain are again threatened…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Shining Company as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Sutcliff’s characters and stories are always believable—and show her amazing gift to always make her research invisible to the reader. All her works feed from actual history. She weaves a fragment or story from the past into a rich tapestry of the human experience and makes history live again. This tale shows her skills perfectly. Sutcliff uses as her source Y Gododdin, a period poem, to frame the construction of this coming-of-age story. Sutcliff takes the torch of the poem’s attempt to keep alive the memory of men who fought and died in a sixth-century British battle, comparable to that…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Shining Company.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best classic Rosemary Sutcliff novels to inspire your history loving teenager
- The best books about Anglo-Saxon history that are detailed but still fun and easy to read
- The best books to understand Anglo-Saxon England
- The best books that led to my obsession with Saxon England
- The best books on the world of Anglo-Saxon Britain