The Other Side of Silence
'If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.'
George Eliot, Middlemarch
Having spent her life trying to…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Other Side of Silence as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book is a beautiful, inspiring weaving tale of a psychiatrist who has recurrent depression and has worked with people with depression. She doesn’t disguise how hard depression is, she doesn’t patronise, she explains depression from her personal point of view, explores what happened in her childhood, and explains a clinician’s point of view of depression.
It’s embedded with bucket loads of empathy, compassion, and hope. You hear about the patients she’s helped and you come out feeling humbled and grateful for her telling her story. Very useful for professionals working in psychiatry and mental health but equally useful for…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Other Side of Silence.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books to manage bloody depression
- The best books for Christians struggling with depression
- The best fiction stories about teen depression & adulting
- The best books to help children of all ages understand depression, loss, grief, and anxiety
- The best children's books to discuss loneliness and depression