How can art enhance and enrich the Christian faith? What is the basis for a relationship between the church and visual imagery? Can the art world and the Protestant church be reconciled? Is art idolatry and vanity, or can it be used to strengthen the church? Grounded in historical and…
Why read it?
1 author picked Visual Faith as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Possibly the most helpful book for those looking to engage both Art and the Church. In Visual Faith the reader will find a wonderful overview of art history from a Christian perspective, beginning with art in the Early Church and coming all the way up to Warhol, Pollock, and art today. There is also an entire chapter devoted to making and looking at art. If there was one book I’d give to people in my church who were interested in engaging with art, this would be it.
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Visual Faith.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on art and Christianity
- The best books on early Christianity
- The best non-formulaic books for creating and sustaining a healthy marriage and mutually-fulfilling sex life
- The best books about Christianity in Africa before colonialism
- The best Christian devotional books to build your faith