From Jim Crow to Civil Rights
A monumental investigation of the Supreme Court's rulings on race, From Jim Crow To Civil Rights spells out in compelling detail the political and social context within which the Supreme Court Justices operate and the consequences of their decisions for American race relations. In a highly provocative interpretation of the…
Why read it?
1 author picked From Jim Crow to Civil Rights as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book is essential reading for anyone who wants to fully understand the century-long struggle after the Civil War to end legally-sanctioned discrimination against Black Americans. Prof. Klarman provides a richly detailed account of that century-long struggle, an account that describes the legal battles that took place in individual states and puts them in the context of the larger national debate. The book requires some effort on the reader's part, but the story that Klarman tells of the U.S. Supreme Court's gradual turn against segregation and its clashes with Southern state lawmakers and courts is ultimately a deeply moving one.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like From Jim Crow to Civil Rights.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books to understand the role that states have played in shaping American law and legal history
- The best picture books about civil rights heroes (besides Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks)
- The best books to teach about the civil rights movement
- The best biographies of Black women in the Civil Rights Movement
- The best books on women in the civil rights movement