From a beloved voice in children's literature comes this landmark memoir of hope amid harrowing times and an engaging and unusual Holocaust-related story. With backlist sales of over 2.3 million copies, one of FSG BYR's most acclaimed picture-book creators details the eight-year odyssey of how he and his Jewish family…
Why read it?
1 author picked Chance as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Through his poignant words and stark drawings, Uri—a renowned children’s book author and illustrator—recounts his harrowing eight-year childhood ordeal when he and his Jewish family fled from the Nazis. The book is an absorbing first-person narrative that describes his constant fear, daily hunger and recurring loneliness as he and his family eluded the enemy at every turn. Uri’s haunting, imaginative drawings help bring this riveting true story into sharp, emotional focus.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Chance.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best nonfiction books for middle schoolers about children in the Holocaust
- The best Holocaust memoirs to understand what real people experienced
- The best books about youth during the Holocaust
- The best books about rescuers of Jews during the Holocaust
- The best books about the Holocaust and how humanity failed