When You See Her
Trapped and isolated in small-town Wisconsin, Sarah wants nothing more than to blend in and lead a normal life away from her abusive brother. Weighing five hundred pounds and having no job or formal education, however, makes this almost impossible.
When Sarah commits an unthinkable act, she seizes the only…
Why read it?
1 author picked When You See Her as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Set in the US in the late 70s, this book was one I went back and forth on if it fit my criteria of being a lesser-known locale (or possibly even historical fiction, since the 60s and 70s are just now starting to hit that cut-off). The world it presents—life in a traveling carnival during the tail end of the freakshow era—was so interesting, though, I felt I had to slip it in. On the run from a terrible secret, the protagonist joins the carnival as their “fat lady” act in the freakshow… and things are just as crazy (and…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 46 books like When You See Her.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best historical fiction novels in lesser-known settings
- The best books with plus-sized protagonists
- The best Christian books that help you find your own adventure with God
- The best Christian books about small towns where God turns messes into miracles
- The best Christian fiction novels that show the awesome power of God to heal the most wounded of souls