The Big Disconnect
Wall Street Journal Best Nonfiction Pick; Publisher's Weekly Best Book of the Year
Clinical psychologist Catherine Steiner-Adair takes an in-depth look at how the Internet and the digital revolution are profoundly changing childhood and family dynamics, and offers solutions parents can use to successfully shepherd their children through the technological…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Big Disconnect as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book will make you a little uneasy; some of the descriptions and scenarios are downright disturbing. Yet the information is necessary to navigate parenting in today’s world. I felt a strange form of validation reading this work, as I’m all too aware of these issues (bullying, kids feeling ignored, sexting, lack of empathy, etc), but when I bring them up, parents often respond that I have a skewed perspective. But as Dr. Steiner Adaire points out, the kids themselves say “parents are clueless” about their kids’ digital lives. Her writing is beautiful, and her advice about helping kids think…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Big Disconnect.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on the effects of screen time on kids (based on neuroscience)
- The best books to help you be the parent you want to be
- The best books on raising emotionally healthy children
- The best books on parenting from a dog behaviourist
- The best books on gentle, non-punitive, relationship-building parenting