Stoic Spiritual Exercises
In this short essay, Elen Buzaré examines ancient sources for clues to how Stoics of the Roman era used psychological techniques for turning doctrine into practical daily living, securing for themselves lives that flourished, free from troubles, enjoying an unshakeable peace of mind. With the help of this short guide,…
Why read it?
1 author picked Stoic Spiritual Exercises as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Stoic Spiritual Exercises is a short, straightforward book that deserves to be better known among practicing Stoics. Buzaré collects a wide variety of Stoic practices into one place, and categorizes them by the aspects of the philosophy to which they most directly apply. You will find various forms of meditation, as well as visualization techniques, Stoic mindsets, mental disciplines, and the author’s reconstruction of a Stoic meditation informed by Buddhist Samatha-Vispassyana therapy. In my day to day there are a handful of Stoic practices that I turn to consistently. Whenever I feel the need to expand my work, or I…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Stoic Spiritual Exercises.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on practicing Stoicism
- The best books about modern-day adaptations of Buddhism and Stoicism
- The best modern books on Stoicism to help translate the ancient to now
- The best academic books on Stoicism for modern Stoic practitioners
- The best books on Stoicism, from a psychiatrist and philosopher