Reno's Big Gamble
When Pittsburgh socialite Laura Corey rolled into Reno, Nevada, in 1905 for a six-month stay, her goal was a divorce from the president of U.S. Steel. Her visit also provided a provocative glimpse into the city's future.With its rugged landscape and rough-edged culture, Reno had little to offer early twentieth-century…
Why read it?
1 author picked Reno's Big Gamble as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Besides having the pleasure of being interviewed by the delightful Ms. Barber, she has written an excellent book covering Reno’s history and its current challenge of re-inventing itself now that the town is no longer a destination for easy divorce and gambling.
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Reno's Big Gamble.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on the Reno divorce ranch era (when Reno was the divorce capital of the world)
- The best books about people who challenged Las Vegas
- The best books that are based on true stories set in the casino industry
- The best books about capitalism in 21st century India
- The best books that explain why corporations are so powerful but the economy still stinks