The much-loved comic thriller by the author of the Edgar Award–winning The Butcher’s Boy is now, by popular demand, back in print, featuring a new Introduction by bestselling author Carl Hiaasen.
When Leroy “Chinese” Gordon breaks into a professor’s lab at the University of Los Angeles, he’s after some pharmaceutical…
Why read it?
1 author picked Metzger's Dog as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I had the good fortune to meet Thomas Perry at a writers' conference a few years back. Perry is best known for fast-paced thrillers such as The Butcher's Boy, the Jane Whitefield series, and The Old Man.
On the topic of comic crime fiction, he observed that violent crime is serious business that's difficult to treat with levity. Perry tried it in his second novel. Published in 1983, Metzger's Dog follows Chinese Gordon and his gang as they romp through the southern California desert—blowing things up. Their target is a medical facility with a million dollars worth of…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 72 books like Metzger's Dog.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books of laugh-out-loud crime fiction
- The best novels that capture the darkly insane world of NYC where cocaine and vicious gangsters defined the 1980s
- The best books for understanding California Mediterranean Gardening
- The best books on Southern California architecture history
- The best history books about the CIA