An account of the discovery of the Shoemaker-Levy 9 comet and its spectacular collision with Jupiter, just 6 months later, written by one of the comet's discoverers.
Why read it?
1 author picked Impact Jupiter as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book is the story of the biggest collision of space objects mankind has ever seen – literally – told by the man who saw it coming. In 1993 Levy was working with astronomers Carolyn and Eugene Shoemaker at a mountain-top observatory in California when they spotted a comet that had been captured by Jupiter’s enormous gravity and sucked into orbit around the Solar System’s biggest planet. Levy and the Shoemakers predicted that pieces of the comet would soon strike Jupiter’s surface with almost unimaginable force – which prompted skepticism among some astronomers. But sure enough, in 1994 the comet…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 57 books like Impact Jupiter.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on giant space rocks that threaten Earth
- The best books on planet Earth
- The best fantasy and sci-fi books that you’d have to prise out of my cold, dead hands
- The best books created because of the April blogging from #AtoZChallenge
- The best books that transport select people from Earth to other realms