"a simple blueprint for Utopia" - the best travel book on Burma since World War II - despite travelling at a time of massive internal insecurity, Norman Lewis still found the eternal Burma, where pagodas are the only punctuation on the horizon and strangers are treated with an overwhelming friendliness…
Why read it?
1 author picked Golden Earth as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Among the 20th century’s finest travel writers, Norman Lewis visited Burma in the early 1950s. ‘Golden Earth’ is a bittersweet portrait of the then-optimistic, now-lost land – before communist incursions and military dictatorship shattered the dream.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Golden Earth.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about Myanmar from someone who has traveled throughout it
- The best books about the war in Burma, 1941-45
- The best books about the Karen and human rights that inspire me
- The best books that explore colonialism in Southeast Asia
- The best books on the Air War in the China-Burma-India Theater during WWII