Sammy Kehoe, his sister, Charlotte, and her four-year-old daughter, Maggie, are all each other have left since the car accident that killed the rest of their family. When they visit their beloved old family home on remote Fox Island, Maine, Sammy and Charlotte each have relationship sparks with island locals.…
Why read it?
1 author picked From Away as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
The way the author describes Sammy’s state of mind as he tells the story—accompanied often by wry, even side-splitting observations—drew me into this strange family, wanting more than anything to learn how they would extricate themselves from their collective morass. If you like ghost stories that are fresh and modern and feature plenty of humor, then I highly recommend From Away.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like From Away.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about ghosts, demons, and the supernatural
- The best picture books for children with LGBTQ family members
- The best books for young readers that treat the supernatural with a clever sense of humor
- The best books to make you laugh & cry
- The best memoirs for commiserating over the "aging parents" challenge