Isabel and her sister, Ruth, are slaves. Sold from one owner to the next, they arrive in New York as the Americans are fighting for their independence, and the English are struggling to maintain control. Soon Isabel is struggling too. Struggling to keep herself and her sister safe in a…
Why read it?
1 author picked Chains as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Chains tells the story of the enslaved during a revolution for independence. The irony of the enslaved risking their well-being for a new nation whose founding and ideals fell short of granting all men and all women “certain inalienable rights,” is not missed in these pages. In fact, it is masterfully delivered for all readers – young and old. Anderson is a master weaver. She beautifully threads stunning strands of real history within the tapestry of her modern classic. Most Americans are not aware that the mayor and other leaders of New York nearly succeeded in ending the rebellion against…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Chains.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best history books for young adult readers interested in the American Revolution
- The best recent books on emancipation during the U.S. Civil War
- The best books for a deep dive into the Transatlantic slave trade
- The best books on the long and difficult fight against slavery in America
- The best books that confront slavery and how it impacts society today