Longlisted for the Man Booker Prize
'Good God, thought Oliver, as he saw the smile. She thinks I'm him! And all at once he knew it was so. He was Dr Norman Wilfred.'
On the sunlit Greek island of Skios, the Fred Toppler Foundation's annual lecture is to be given…
Why read it?
1 author picked Skios as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
On the Greek island of Skios, the philantropic foundation Fred Toppler brings together once a year the scientifical elite. But this summer, nothing works as planned following a suitcase mix-up at the airport. The misunderstandings follow one another, leading the characters to connect with people of other social backgrounds. The pompous and eminent academic Norman Wilfred finds himself trapped in a remote house with Georgie, a nice but limited young woman, when Oliver Fox, a good-looking playboy, deliberately takes Norman’s place at the Toppler foundation, to the delight of the guests. I enjoyed very much the social satire and the…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 87 books like Skios.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best tongue-in-cheek novels about social classes and clashes
- The best books about people who challenged Las Vegas
- The most truthful books about how entrepreneurship works
- The best memoirs about thought leaders who created brands
- The best satire books of all time with nothing in common, except for one thing