The foundational work on shamanism now available as a Princeton Classics paperback
Shamanism is an essential work on the study of this mysterious and fascinating phenomenon. The founder of the modern study of the history of religion, Mircea Eliade surveys the tradition through two and a half millennia of human…
Why read it?
1 author picked Shamanism as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
When I say to you ‘Religions of Asia’ you will automatically think of the usual suspects: Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, and so on. Here is something different from Prof Eliade one of the great scholars of his generation. Shamanism is a major influence across the whole of the northern hemisphere from Canada through Siberia and into eastern and central Asia. The cover of the paperback has an Eskimo ceremonial mask. The shaman is medicine man, magician, miracle worker, priest, mystic and poet. We immediately think of the drum and the ecstatic body, but think also of eagle feathers, rattle, and robe…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Shamanism.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books that make you wish you lived in Asia
- The best books on the riddle of psychedelics
- The best books about how ancient Confucianism tells us to live well today
- The best books about Siberia for those with insatiable wanderlust
- The best books on magick and witchcraft as self-care and wellness