Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties
Here is a mini-anthology of poetry and prose for both aficionados and those readers discovering Rainer Maria Rilke for the first time. John J. L. Mood has assembled a collection of Rilke's strongest work, presenting commentary along with the selections. Mood links into an essay passages from letters that show…
Why read it?
1 author picked Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Rilke has been my favourite poet since I was in my 20s—the depth of emotion and the lack of sentiment is what attracts me to his work. In his mind, love is a very serious thing, as the title suggests. No hearts and roses—just the truth about human emotions. I use one of the poems (“The Seven Phallic Poems, IV”) in this book in my book—Jon reads it to Becca at a very intimate moment. I believe Rilke’s work in this book was my introduction to erotic poetry.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books of love poetry that are not all hearts and flowers and mush
- The best books raising questions about spirituality, consciousness, and the nature of reality
- The best books for spirituality and health
- The best books on spirituality for understanding one’s life purpose and navigating grief
- The best books to accompany you on your spiritual journey