Hidden Valley Road
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • OPRAH’S BOOK CLUB PICK • ONE OF GQ's TOP 50 BOOKS OF LITERARY JOURNALISM IN THE 21st CENTURY • The heartrending story of a midcentury American family with twelve children, six of them diagnosed with schizophrenia, that became science's great hope in the quest…
Why read it?
1 author picked Hidden Valley Road as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
In many ways, my book is a prologue to Robert Kolker’s extraordinary book. When Mike left our home, he moved to the Colorado State Hospital, in 1957, just a few years before the Galvin brothers began to rotate through the same wards. My mother dealt with the guilt and shame, stigma and chaos of one child with schizophrenia. The Galvins had ten boys and two girls, and six of the boys were diagnosed with schizophrenia. Unimaginable. I feel especially close to their story because I went to college in Colorado Springs. I rode my bike near the Galvin home on…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Hidden Valley Road.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about families struggling with mental health
- The best books on startling encounters with mental illness
- The best books featuring strong female leads (and one male!) with mental illness or neurodiversity
- The best empowering personal stories of mental illness
- The best romance novels to feature characters with mental illness