This complete history tells the truth about many of those who have attempted to climb to the roof of the world.
Why read it?
1 author picked Everest as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This is the Everest Bible. It has it all: every fact, every myth, every attempt, every failure, and the ultimate success. By rights, this book shouldn’t really work—so many attempts, so many near-misses, so many personality clashes, so many tragedies—but somehow it builds. The personalities are outsized, of course, the egos gigantic, and that helps, but the mountain is just too famous to ever be dull.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Everest.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about the climbing history of the Himalayas
- The best books about the allure, tragedy, and terrifying majesty of high-altitude mountaineering
- The best books from the other side of the mountain
- The best chilling adventure books to read instead of going out in the elements
- The best books about the Himalaya for people who don’t climb mountains