The modern world is wondrous. Its factories produce ten thousand cars every hour and ten trillion transistors every second. We carry supercomputers in our pockets, and nearly a million people are in the air at any time. In Civilization Critical, Darrin Qualman takes readers on a tour of the wonders…
Why read it?
1 author picked Civilization Critical as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Despite the Covid pandemic, the two biggest threats to human society are political strife and degradation of its food supply through climate change and population explosion. Darren Qualman provides an easily understood discussion of the latter. He starts with the simple closed-loop plant/animal cycle powered by the sun’s energy, which existed up until about 300 years ago. Then, explains how the discovery of coal and oil, invention of the tractor, and development of a process to convert oil into fertilizer changed all that.
As a teenager, I was taught that the population explosion would cause mass starvation in the near…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Civilization Critical.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books to influence human society
- The best books on social sustainability
- The best books on why looking for your ‘true self’ is pointless
- The best books on myth, trauma, and cultural reckoning demonstrating why sustainability matters
- The best books about justice and sustainability in South Africa