One of the fundamental works of Western political thought, Aristotle's masterwork is the first systematic treatise on the science of politics. For almost three decades, Carnes Lord's justly acclaimed translation has served as the standard English edition. Widely regarded as the most faithful to both the original Greek and Aristotle's…
Why read it?
1 author picked Aristotle's Politics as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Reading Aristotle is easier than you might think. Even those who are not able to read him in the original Greek cannot fail to be enamoured by his enthusiasm. What is so fascinating about Aristotle’s Politika (in English normally translated as The Politics) is the way this enormously erudite man got carried away babbling and digressing in his lectures. Aristotle, simply, could not help but tell his students about a certain Hippodamus (“the son of Eryphon”). This 5th Century BC Athenian was, “the first man not engaged in politics to speak on the subject of the best Constitution,”…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Aristotle's Politics.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books for deep thinkers about politics, democracy, and philosophy
- The best mostly recent books on Spinoza
- The best philosophy books for dealing with difficult emotions
- The best books in contemporary political philosophy that shaped my thinking about justice, liberty, and equality
- The best books for an aspiring or inspiring social scientist