Told with vigor and insight, this is the memorable story of Wooden Leg (1858-1940), one of sixteen hundred warriors of the Northern Cheyennes who fought with the Lakotas against Custer at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Wooden Leg remembers the world of the Cheyennes before they were forced onto…
Why read it?
1 author picked Wooden Leg as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
For more than eighty years, the Cheyenne warrior Wooden Leg did a bit of just about everything. He joined a warrior society as a boy, fought against Custer and Crook in the Indian Wars, rode as an army scout, served as a tribal judge, converted to Christianity, and had to divorce one of his two wives (a heartrending scene!) before his new religion would accept him. His story is told by Thomas Marquis, a Cheyenne agency physician, who translated Wooden Leg’s story from sign language since they didn’t speak each other’s mother tongue. This is one of the best accounts…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 40 books like Wooden Leg.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books with true stories about Indian country
- The best books about George A. Custer and the Little Bighorn
- The best Westerns that will transport you to the American frontier
- The best books that capture a 19th century American voice
- The best historical fiction that is more hysterical than historical