Wine and War
In the vineyards, wine caves, and cellars of France as war and occupation came to the country winemakers acted heroically not only to save the best wines but to defend their way of life.
These are the true stories of vignerons who sheltered Jewish refugees in their cellars and of…
Why read it?
1 author picked Wine and War as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
You don’t need to know about wine or WWII to enjoy the story of how French wine was ingeniously protected from pillaging Germans during the Occupation. It reads like a war movie, about wine. Some anecdotes with a touch of James Bond about them, with others more Allo Allo. Sadly, the heroism involved continues to this day, but now with Lebanese wine producers. Indeed, there is another more recent book covering this very topic too.
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Wine and War.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best storytelling books about how history has influenced wines
- The best books on French wine, history, and culture
- The best books on the refugee crisis precipitated by Germany's attack on Western Europe in WW2
- The best books to transport you to France, with or without a glass of wine
- The best books on the wine, food, and history of Perigord France