The Iron Curtain Kid
Ever wondered what it must have been like growing up behind the Iron Curtain, on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall? Would your days have been haunted by the shadow of the omnipresent secret service, the Stasi, or was reality somewhat more mundane? In this humorous and touching memoir,…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Iron Curtain Kid as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This is a memoir written by a young man who grew up in East Germany. I picked this one up for research but found myself completely enthralled by the story. His attention to detail is excellent. If you ever want to know what it was like to grow up in East Germany on a day-to-day basis, this is a great source of information. When the author finally goes to West Berlin for the first time in his life, it made me cry.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Iron Curtain Kid.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books that show living in East Germany really was like a spy movie
- The best books about life under the Stasi
- The best novels about East Germany from an insider's point of view
- The best books on German history that aren't about the Nazis
- The best books on the transformation of Germany since Adolf Hitler