The acres and acres of fertile soil, the two-hundred year old antebellum house, all gone.
And so is the woman who gave it to him. The foster mother who saved Jack Boucher from a childhood of abandonmnet now rests in a hospice. Her mind eroded by dementia, the family legacy…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Fighter as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
The Fighter is Southern noir at its best, and the spare, economic voice of the narrator adds to the guttural bleakness of a man down on his luck but willing to persevere against all odds. Set in the sultry Delta, Jack Boucher has put behind him 25 years of bare-knuckle fighting but is given cause to step into the ring one more time. A dark desperation colors this popular novel, and readers will be shown why Michael Farris Smith is considered one of the finest writers now on the American literary landscape.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 11 books like The Fighter.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best Southern books that touch upon culture, history, and society
- The best crime fiction books so grounded they pass muster with this writer (a former detective and barrister)
- The best books to experience The Quiet Man Effect
- The best books to understand and appreciate New Orleans
- The best books about the Works Progress Administration or by WPA authors