A New York Times Bestseller
Acclaimed psychologists Randy Frost and Gail Sketetee's groundbreaking study on the compulsion of hoarding, "Stuff invites readers to reevaluate their desire for things” (Boston Globe).
What possesses someone to save every scrap of paper that’s ever come into his home? What compulsions drive a woman…
Why read it?
1 author picked Stuff as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Randy Frost and Gail Steketee have done groundbreaking research on hoarding disorder, and their work has helped shift the conversation away from the traditional shame-and-blame approach to the subject. In these case studies, they dig into what drives individuals to accumulate extreme amounts of clutter. Emphasis on individuals—each of these people has a unique, often fascinating story, and Frost and Steketee treat them with compassion and understanding. Stuff helped me understand that forced cleanouts and harsh interventions don’t solve the problem, they only inflict more trauma.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 56 books like Stuff.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books to read when you’re decluttering (or trying to avoid it)
- The best books to read if you or a family member suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder
- The best books for understanding and overcoming anxiety
- The best books for older kids who worry too much
- The best books to inspire you to declutter