This is the story of a special time, space, and place where young people diagnosed as
Why read it?
1 author picked Soteria as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
What would happen if instead of throwing people into jail-like mental wards and hammering them with tranquilizing drugs, we instead welcomed them into home-like settings and spent time listening and caring, patiently giving them time and space to explore the emotional roots of their crisis? Psychiatrist Loren Mosher did just that in the Soteria House research project in the 1970s and 80s, and the results were clear: people do better without medications and with listening and caring in a safe environment instead.
Mosher was the first chief of the Center for Studies of Schizophrenia of the National Institutes of Mental…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Soteria.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about psychosis from a schizophrenia diagnosis survivor
- The best books for the chakra curious
- The best books about families struggling with mental health
- The best books for understanding California Mediterranean Gardening
- The best books to rationally investigate mystical and psychotic experience