A ground-breaking narrative investigation of childbirth in the age of machines, malpractice, and managed care, Pushed presents the complete picture of maternity care in America. From inside the operating room of a hospital with a 44% Cesarean rate to the living room floor of a woman who gives birth with…
Why read it?
1 author picked Pushed as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I highly recommend this book because it is an excellent exposé written by a well-known journalist on what is wrong with childbirth and maternity care in the US. As I do in my book, Block shows that in this country, more than half of laboring women are unnecessarily given drugs to induce or speed up labor, and one-third have cesareans. Block poignantly asks, "When did birth become an emergency instead of an emergence?" She examines childbirth as a reproductive rights issue, insisting that women have the right to an optimal birth experience, and that right is not being upheld.…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 56 books like Pushed.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about childbirth in the US from a childbirth expert
- The best books that inspire confidence for natural childbirth and homebirth
- The best books on the history of childbirth
- The best books that explore the spirituality of pregnancy and birth
- The best books on abortion and reproductive rights