"Beyond doubt the most interesting book on the evolution of mathematics which has ever fallen into my hands."—Albert Einstein
Number is an eloquent, accessible tour de force that reveals how the concept of number evolved from prehistoric times through the twentieth century. Renowned professor of mathematics Tobias Dantzig shows that…
Why read it?
1 author picked Number as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
More than any other, this book influenced me most about wanting to study mathematics. Of course, I was young at the time and strongly partial to Einstein’s remark, “This is beyond doubt the most interesting book on the evolution of mathematics which has ever fallen into my hands.” Many years later, when I exhaustively tried to find the book in any bookstore I passed, it was out of print. So I suggested it to my publisher, who immediately acquired the rights and republished it under my editing guidelines. It is the quintessential lure into mathematics for readers of any age.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Number.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books of narrative merit in mathematics and science
- The best books on mathematics for the general reader
- The best books on contemporary mathematics for the philosophically inclined
- The best books on thinking, creativity, and mathematics
- The best books to find out why math isn’t what you think