"This new and valuable book delves into the 'interior' experience of voodoo, as opposed to the usual outsider focus on ritual and cosmology. In telling the story of her own initiation and painstaking education in voodoo, Beaubrun takes us into the mystical dimensions of this ancient religion."--The Guardian UK Like…
Why read it?
1 author picked Nan Domi as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Nan Domi is the only book I know of that reports on the interior, private, mystical practices of Vodou—one of the world’s great religions, though much misunderstood and despised outside of Haiti. A preface I wrote for the book gives an efficient introduction to the basic history, beliefs, and practices of Vodou, providing the necessary context for Beaubrun’s more esoteric text.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 91 books like Nan Domi.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about Haitian history and Haiti today
- The best books on Margaret Mead and her life
- The best books to get to know mysterious New Orleans
- The best books on writing about the wisdom of others
- The best books on the Haitian Revolution from a historian of eighteenth-century France and the French empire