Here, Our Culture is Hard
Marriage among the Maya of Central America is a model of complementarity between a man and a woman. This union demands mutual respect and mutual service. Yet some husbands beat their wives. In this pioneering book, Laura McClusky examines the lives of several Mopan Maya women in Belize. Using engaging…
Why read it?
1 author picked Here, Our Culture is Hard as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Laura McClusky’s investigation of conjugal abuse among a Mayan community in Belize is one of the most ethnographically compelling books I have read on lived experiences of domestic violence.
McClusky was motivated to write this book because most domestic violence research had been clinical or sociological and had focused solely on the experience of violence, often approaching the phenomenon in a “peopleless manner.”
Refreshingly, McClusky decided to focus on the emotions, desires, motivations, and personal experiences of living women more holistically, thus overcoming tendencies to reduce women to the experience of violence and granting them the recognition as agents of…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Here, Our Culture is Hard.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books to understand gender, religion, and domestic violence through non-Western eyes
- The most realistic and helpful books about domestic abuse
- The best books about money, relationships and family violence
- The best books to learn about domestic violence from a cross-cultural perspective
- The best books to read if you think you are being emotionally abused