Escape from Aleppo
"Filled with kindness and hope...Heartbreaking...Necessary." -Booklist (starred review)
Nadia's family is forced to flee their home in Aleppo, Syria, when the Arab Spring sparks a civil war in this timely, "harrowing" (Publishers Weekly) coming-of-age novel from award-winning author N.H. Senzai.
Silver and gold balloons. A birthday cake covered in pink…
Why read it?
1 author picked Escape from Aleppo as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
When bombs fall on Nadia’s home, she’s separated from her family in the middle of a war. Over the course of a few short, dangerous days, she has to find a way through her destroyed city to her parents. With startling detail, N.H. Senzai captures the frenzy and peril of Nadia’s situation.
N.H. Senzai also writes wonderful books about Afghan refugees, like Shooting Kabul, but I personally found Escape from Aleppo her best work so far. I read it all in a gulp, and came out with a deeper understanding of what even a tiny slice of the refugee…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Escape from Aleppo.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best children’s books about refugees
- The best books that capture the essence of Syria and its people
- The best picture books about ordinary helpers in extraordinary times
- The best books that are not your grandfather’s immigration story
- The best children’s books to spark conversations about refugees