Eleanor of Aquitaine
In this beautifully written biography, Alison Weir paints a vibrant portrait of a truly exceptional woman and provides new insights into her intimate world.
Renowned in her time for being the most beautiful woman in Europe, the wife of two kings and mother of three, Eleanor of Aquitaine was one…
Why read it?
1 author picked Eleanor of Aquitaine as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
History rarely gives a prominent place to women, and this is perhaps particularly true of medieval history. To have left such a huge mark, Eleanor must have been a truly extraordinary woman. It is the combination of her formidable nature with the equally formidable Henry II that makes her marriage to the great Plantagenet ruler such a remarkable story. Alison Weir’s book is a treasure, full of interesting anecdotes that bring the star-studded cast of Eleanor, Henry, and their sons Henry, Richard, Geoffrey, and John to life.
This book is an outstanding introduction to a fascinating period of English history,…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Eleanor of Aquitaine.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books that changed my view of history
- The best books on the wine, food, and history of Perigord France
- The best books on the power, sex, and influence of women in early modern France
- The best books about five of the most fascinating women of sixteenth and eighteenth century Europe
- The best books about the real-life, kick-ass female agents of WW2