A Library Journal Best Book of 2014: Historical Fiction
The amazing power and truth of the Rapunzel fairy tale comes alive for the first time in this breathtaking tale of desire, black magic and the redemptive power of love
French novelist Charlotte-Rose de la Force has been banished from the…
Why read it?
1 author picked Bitter Greens as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I came across this book in the research stage of writing my new novel and from the very beginning I was hooked. I love a good fairytale, in this case Rapunzel, retold as feminist historical fiction. The characters are deliciously multi-faceted, the alternating storylines deftly woven together, and I felt like I was being doled out insights into where we are now as women through the lens of where we’ve been before. Engaging and enlightening. After reading it I felt inspired to read more of her work, write more of my own, and empower as many women as possible.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Bitter Greens.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best beach reads for when you want to smash the patriarchy and still enjoy your vacation
- The best books that explore what Renaissance Italy was really like
- The best books on Renaissance Italy
- The best books to understand the art and culture of Renaissance Florence
- The best books about art & Italy