Words of the Lagoon
Words of the Lagoon is an account of the pioneering work of a marine biologist to discover, test, and record the knowledge possessed by native fisherman of the Palau Islands of Micronesia.
Why read it?
1 author picked Words of the Lagoon as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
There has been growing recognition that our scientific understanding of environmental matters can be enhanced if we would only listen to the wisdom of indigenous peoples. This recognition only occasionally leads to a serious effort by environmental scientists to learn from indigenous peoples. Dr. Robert Johannes was a tropical fisheries biologist who, in the mid-1970s, was well ahead of his time when he took time out of a busy academic career to spend a couple of years on tiny, remote islands in Palau, Micronesia to learn from elders how to catch fish. This book is a non-technical account of what…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 50 books like Words of the Lagoon.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on being a coral reef scientist
- The best books to help you understand the amazing world of coral reefs
- The best books on indigenous experiences of WW2 in the Pacific Islands
- The best books about why the history of the ocean matters
- The best books on human's relationships with the underwater world