2021 Top Ten Finalist for the Locus Awards in Nonfiction
Weird Westerns is an exploration of the hybrid western genre-an increasingly popular and visible form that mixes western themes, iconography, settings, and conventions with elements drawn from other genres, such as science fiction, horror, and fantasy. Despite frequent declarations of…
Why read it?
1 author picked Weird Westerns as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
These fourteen essays explore the hybrid “weird west” genre, examining a range of texts including some by Native American authors, as well as TV series, films, fiction, roleplaying games, and comic books. It makes for an interesting read – and is thought-provoking in its conclusion that despite weird westerns challenging and destabilizing many of the old cliches, they have yet to “imagine an existence outside of colonial frameworks”. This has given me much food for thought, as it seems to me that frontiers (wherever found) are an intrinsic part of the western genre, and frontiers tend to imply conflict between…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Weird Westerns.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books set in the Weird Wild West
- The best books that capture the poignant beauty of the American West
- The best books about the women of the American West
- The best books about why the ever-evolving American West was, is, and always will be the “Wild West”
- The best classic history books on American western migration before the Civil War