Vernon God Little
Hailed by the critics and lauded by readers for its riotously funny and scathing portrayal of America in an age of trial by media, materialism, and violence, Vernon God Little was an international sensation when it was first published in 2003 and awarded the prestigious Man Booker Prize.
Why read it?
1 author picked Vernon God Little as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Pierre’s adolescent high schooler makes JD Salinger’s protagonist in Catcher in the Rye look like a valedictorian. Just as (finally) he is about to score with a teenage crush, who has hitherto rejected him, he ejaculates prematurely.
"My world dissolves under my belly with a jet like stung snakes squirting out through their own eye holes. Then quiet. Just a slow ocean moving slowly, and spit-curry after-poon drying cold on my face."
What’s worse, at that precise moment, cops burst into the room, catching him with his pants down, and arresting him for a mass killing he didn’t commit.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Vernon God Little.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about misfits and wretched excess
- The best off-the-wall romance literature to surprise, delight, and challenge your perceptions
- The best gritty noir novels full of poetic lines, dirty realism, and dark humour
- The best supernatural dark comedies about or related to death
- The best darkly humorous fiction stocking fillers