Michael Finkel was a top New York Times Magazine journalist publicly fired and disgraced for making up a composite character for a big investigative news piece about Africa. This book is about how this brilliant, high achieving journalist found himself at that point in his life. But in parallel it's…
Why read it?
1 author picked True Story as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book explores the relationship between writer and subject and provides a lesson on the lengths one should go in exercising one’s craft. An ironic twist comes in the form of Finkel himself being a victim of a crime, which gives rise to the thrust of this story. As a fan of memoirs and true crime, this book kept my interest all of the way through.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like True Story.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about true crime and the dark side of human nature
- The best books on the triumphs and struggles of American journalism
- The best books about women, politics and journalism in the post-World War II years
- The best books about American war reporting
- The best books about journalists as heroes