The author of The Hive Detectives presents “a unique and often fascinating book on ocean currents, drifting trash, and the scientists who study them” (Booklist).
Aided by an army of beachcombers, oceanographer Dr. Curtis Ebbesmeyer tracks trash in the name of science. From sneakers to hockey gloves, Curt monitors the…
Why read it?
1 author picked Tracking Trash as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Dr. Curtis Ebbesmeyer had a “wow” moment when thousands and thousands of Nike sneakers showed up on beaches in Seattle. I thought that was amazing too. Then he heard about rubber duckies, blue plastic turtles, hockey gloves, and lego pieces. This fascinating book reveals his unusual methods to study ocean currents and weather patterns by tracking floating items that fall from ships at sea. Amateur ocean observers help him all over the world and some are focused on dangerous abandoned fishing nets. Are you fascinated? Websites, a newsletter, and other programs are mentioned for those who might be inspired.
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 29 books like Tracking Trash.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best children’s books that get readers thinking about a “wow” moment that may spark a lifetime of investigation
- The best books about air pollution and what we can do about it
- The best books on inventors
- The best books about toxic heritage: pollution, politics, and why history matters
- The best picture books to help make Earth Day every day