The Right Stuff
A wonderful novel and perfect book club choice, The Right Stuff is a wildly vivid and entertaining chronicle of America's early space programme.
WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY US ASTRONAUT SCOTT KELLY
'What is it,' asks Tom Wolfe, 'that makes a man willing to sit on top of an enormous Roman…
Why read it?
2 authors picked The Right Stuff as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
It seems incomprehensible that I didn’t read this book until my test pilot husband died. He’d applied to NASA, just before the plane crash.
This book is popular in the aviation community because Tom Wolfe nailed it—the pilot lingo, the tall tales from the cockpit, the egos, the spot-on descriptions, and mostly, the brilliance and love of adventure. I’ve spent most of my life around pilots (I’m a licensed private pilot) and Wolfe gets it. He is an extremely talented writer who helped bring Chuck Yeager’s ultra-cool bravery into the mainstream. Wolfe traces the successes and horrific failures of the…
This book, Wolfe’s dramatized interpretation of the Mercury 7, the first American astronauts, was my first “grown-up” look at the U.S. space program. It gave me an understanding of these men and their times unlike anything I had previously experienced.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Right Stuff.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on the history of space exploration that inspired Ocean of Storms
- The best books on loss that do more than make us cry: they inspire us, teach us, help us uncover our own quiet strengths
- The best books about space exploration, astronauts, the moon, and beyond
- The best books on astronauts and cosmonauts
- The best books about being an astronaut