The Bathhouse at Midnight
The title of this book refers to the classic time and place for magic, witchcraft, and divination in Russia. The Bathhouse at Midnight, by one of the world's foremost experts on the subject, surveys all forms of magic, both learned and popular, in Russia from the fifth to the eighteenth…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Bathhouse at Midnight as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I chose this book because it is such a wide-ranging compendium of Russian folk beliefs in general (in English!) as well as of Russian customs involved in trying to ensure the fertility and health of crops, farm animals, and women, all desperately needed for the survival of the community. It is these fascinating and picturesque customs that so often get incorporated into dances. Furthermore, the Dancing Goddesses were often pressed into service for divination of the future, especially by young girls worrying about whom they would marry and how many children they would have, or if they would die first.…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Bathhouse at Midnight.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books for learning about the roots of European dance in ancient concerns for female fertility and health
- The best books on Imperial Russia and the Romanovs
- The best historical novels of the triumphs and tragedies of Russia's Romanovs
- The best books about Russia in Asia
- The best books about Rasputin and his Russian queen