Opulence. Invasion. Terror. And forbidden passion in 1930s Singapore.
'They were the golden days, when Singapore was as rich as its climate was steamy, its future as assured as it was busy. And those days were made even better when, as was inevitable, I fell in love with the Chinese…
Why read it?
1 author picked Tanamera as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This story is not only a history of Singapore and Malaya before, during, and after the war, it is also a beautiful love story and gripping family Saga. It’s a chunky book in which Noel Barber paints an indelible picture of pre-war colonial life in Singapore for both the colonials and the Malaysians.
Noel Barber brings to life the British defence build-up and the military and colonial administration’s mistakes, which led to the Japanese invasion. It was as though they could not believe the Japanese could or would invade their territory. The story is romantic and heart-breaking, as Noel Barber…
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Tanamera.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books that tell great stories about the Second World War
- The best books about the Asian theatre in the Second World War
- The best books on prisoners of war held by the Japanese during WW2 - their lives and stories
- The best books to peer into the traditional and modern Japanese mind
- The best novels that show World War II as it was