One of the most intriguing and storied episodes of the Civil War, the 1862 Shenandoah Valley Campaign has heretofore been related only from the Confederate point of view. Moving seamlessly between tactical details and analysis of strategic significance, Peter Cozzens presents a balanced, comprehensive account of a campaign that has…
Why read it?
1 author picked Shenandoah 1862 as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I discovered this book a few years ago while writing my biography of Jackson. The subject is probably the single most dazzling bit of tactical warfare in American history. Its relatively short duration—March through June, 1882—means that Cozzens can go deep, and go deep he does.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Shenandoah 1862.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books to start with on the American Civil War
- The best books on women in the Civil War
- The best books about life during the American Civil War by those who experienced it
- The best books on the naval history of the American Civil War
- The best books that get at the heart of the American Civil War
Interested in the American Civil War, presidential biography, and the Confederate States of America?
10,000+ authors have recommended their favorite books and what they love about them. Browse their picks for the best books about the American Civil War, presidential biography, and the Confederate States of America.