Nationalism in Asia and Africa
Published in the year 1974, Nationalism in Asia and Africa is a valuable contribution to the field of Middle Eastern Studies.
Why read it?
1 author picked Nationalism in Asia and Africa as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Kedourie (1926-1992) was a scholar of Middle Eastern history who also exerted quite an influence upon the field of nationalism studies. This was achieved through his famous Nationalism and the follow-up project cited here. The diverse sources collected in Nationalism in Asia and Africa are introduced with a lengthy opening essay in which Kedourie attempts to account for the ‘family resemblance’ among the movements in question (mainly of late 19th and early 20th-century vintage). The sources themselves are far from ordinary. See for example document 17, which details the final days of an imprisoned Egyptian political dissident – these spent…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Nationalism in Asia and Africa.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books which document the spread of nationalism throughout the modern world
- The best books about why the past matters for the future
- The best books on Christian Nationalism in the United States
- The best books on why identity issues are so hot in history
- The best recent books on Bismarck and Imperial Germany (1871-1918)