From Here to Equality
Racism and discrimination have choked economic opportunity for African Americans at nearly every turn. At several historic moments, the trajectory of racial inequality could have been altered dramatically. But neither Reconstruction nor the New Deal nor the civil rights struggle led to an economically just and fair nation. Today, systematic…
Why read it?
1 author picked From Here to Equality as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
From Here to Equality is a great companion to The Half Has Never Been Told. Through the lens of the contemporary discussion of reparations, it fills in the historical blanks that so many people have about the African American experience, going beyond slavery to Reconstruction and its aftermath, Jim Crow segregation, and modern-day discrimination, detailing the economic impact during each historical period. I was really impressed by the historical detail and the economic analysis, and I learned a lot from reading it. If you want to understand the national conversation about reparations, read this book!
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like From Here to Equality.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on why racism persists and what we can do about it
- The best picture books about civil rights heroes (besides Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks)
- The best books to teach about the civil rights movement
- The best books that explain America’s systemic racism
- The best books on women in the civil rights movement