Dreaming in Hindi
An eye-opening and courageous memoir that explores what learning a new language can teach us about distant worlds and, ultimately, ourselves.
After miraculously surviving a serious illness, Katherine Rich found herself at an impasse in her career as a magazine editor. She spontaneously accepted a freelance writing assignment to go…
Why read it?
1 author picked Dreaming in Hindi as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Katherine Russel Rich, who had spent 20 years as a magazine editor (and just as long as a cancer survivor: recounted brilliantly in her first book, The Red Devil: To Hell with Cancer—and Back), started studying Hindi because she needed a new language to describe her life during the messy process of remaking herself as an artistic rather than commercial writer. Dreaming in Hindi: Coming Awake in Another Language is a memoir of the year she spent in the ancient city of Udaipur, where she lived with a local family and attended a Hindi language school.
This personal story…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Dreaming in Hindi.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best travel memoirs for those who love to wander
- The best books on poor people in India that engages with their daily life
- The best books on Indian mythology
- The best books on the history of modern India
- The best books about India under the Raj that are not about princesses, palaces and people floating about in silk dresses