In Road to Divorce, Lawrence Stone explored and analysed the ambiguous nature of the law and pratice concerning marriage, separation, and divorce in England from 1530 to the present day. He showed how husbands and wives, lovers and lawyers, adapted, circumvented, of defied the law in order to achieve their…
Why read it?
1 author picked Broken Lives as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book provides a helpful overview of the marriage and divorce laws of England during the period in question, as well as twelve “case studies,” all useful for research. Most of the marital breakups covered in this volume occurred before the Regency era, a few even before the greater Georgian era. Each story takes a reader through the heartache and drama of these unhappy marriages and the legal machinations needed to end them.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Broken Lives.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books about the intricacies and perils of divorce in Regency-era Britain
- The best books on everyday life in Tudor England
- The best books on the modern British monarchy
- The best books on histories of medieval families
- The best Tudor books that are informative, imaginative and bring the past alive