tales from Counter-Renaissance Rome
Why read it?
1 author picked Aretino's Dialogues as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I highly recommend the works of Pietro Aretino. I love satire, and Aretino was a satirist for the ages. I admired his raw courage, for he spared no one—including kings and popes—on his way to earning the title “Scourge of Princes.” He died in his early sixties, reportedly from “laughing too much.” I cannot imagine an epitaph I would rather have engraved on my headstone.
Our community of 9,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Aretino's Dialogues.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best bloody and tasty books about the brilliance, cruelty, and especially the food, of the Italian Renaissance
- The best books that explore what Renaissance Italy was really like
- The best books on Renaissance Italy
- The best books to understand the art and culture of Renaissance Florence
- The best books for armchair travel through Italy and Italian history