This Heavy Silence
This is an unforgettable debut novel about the nature of forgiveness, the debts we owe, and the mysteries of what we call grace. When Dottie Connell adopts her best friend's daughter out of a combination of spite and loyalty, she must confront her ideas on motherhood, sexuality, and God. Set…
Why read it?
1 author picked This Heavy Silence as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Single and self-sufficient Dottie O’Connell farms her 300 acres with strength and independence, not needing anyone. When she finds herself the primary caretaker to her friend’s young daughter Mattie after the girl is orphaned by a tragic fire, Dottie suddenly is thrust into guardianship with a young person she had no desire to raise. While I admired Dottie for taking on such a life-changing responsibility, at times I couldn’t fathom Dottie’s choices involving the girl. Thankfully, the author peels away the layers of Dottie’s wounds, allowing us at least to understand her while maybe not agreeing with her. Each of…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like This Heavy Silence.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best novels featuring older protagonists in intergenerational relationships
- The best books for extraordinary life stories about ordinary people
- The best books on Dunmore’s War (1774 Ohio frontier)
- The best books on history, archaeology, people, and places
- The best books about making huge life changes and the stories behind them